Welcome to My New Blog

Welcome everyone - to my new blog. This is my first attempt at public writing and blogging however, with the help of a blogging course under the instruction of a gentleman extremely knowledgeable in the subject Mr. Karl Plasz, I am hopeful you will find the blog both informational and inspirational.


In school, English was a challenge. I think key building blocks were missed as a result of moving several times during the school years. To that, I apologize beforehand should the punctuation be incorrect or the grammar for that matter but I truly hope it won't be too great of a distraction.

History:
My oldest brother Bill and I have been planning a trip to Europe for some time now to check out battlefields and cemeteries of the Great War. We agreed that exploring places that our Grandfather would have been in during his involvement in World War II would make the trip even more special. Through our research we have discovered that 1) our great-grandfather Timothy Smith served with the 28th Northwest Battalion in the Great War and 2) our grandfather John Hunt, although originally enlisted with the Calgary Highlanders, would take a much different path through the war.

Initially I thought a blog would be a great way to share the trip experience with family and friends. As a result of the research Bill and I have done to date it is clear there is a greater story to tell. A story not just limited to our family’s particular military perspective but one of a greater sacrifice, one that forged a nation and brought Canadians the reputation of being fierce fighters respected by their enemies. A story that needs to be told. A story that should never be forgotten.

“In Our Grandfathers’ Footsteps” will take us through the some of the family history of our Grandpa and Great Grandpa, their military history, the history of their battalions as well as others and of course the trip itself. We will also be sharing our references and resources so you too can perhaps begin your own similar journey.

Please note: All photos may not be used for commercial purposes without permission.

Comments

  1. Have a great trip! This will definitely leave an imprint on your soul. I am looking forward to travelling with you via this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin! This is going to be a once in a lifetime trip and the blog will be a perfect way to share the experience with family and friends as well as be able to reflect back upon it fr years to come!

      Delete
  2. Now our travelling through Canada/BC has ended, so now I am looking forward to travelling with you and Bill via this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Charly...thank you for joining us! It's going to be great to have you along. ": )

      Delete
  3. Darko Blagojevic15 August 2017 at 09:53

    Have fun Mr. Leach.......and Behave.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bud...It's going to be a great trip. And with our itinerary we won't have any time to misbehave! ": )

      Delete
  4. Hey Tanner
    I can't remember what day you are leaving but I think it is the 26th of August. If I don't talk to you before then, have a safe flight and I will for sure be following the blog.
    Your passion for this is inspiring. I hope I can learn from your travels and have this knowledge to pass on to my kids and grandkids.
    Thanks for sharing!

    Henrik and Danna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henrik and Danna - it is great to have you along! It is incredible how much we have both learned and yet not even touch the surface. It is so very difficult to fathom what the world went through in those years.... So incredible humbling

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 24 - 20 Sept 2016: To Mons and area and the Netherlands

Day 10 - Sep 6, 2017: Normandy and Area with Pictures